How the Passion for Pouring Began

Greetings! Every summer I go on a creative vacation to another media or genre. I don't do it deliberately but something about my birthday in June, reenergizes me and I go awandering. 

In past years, this has been circle weaving, precious metal clay object making using a torch, a bit of metal smithing, peg, stick and frame loom weaving, pin loom  weaving... you get the idea. My usual daily endeavors are  writing poetry and science fiction,  singing and playing around with my sax and designing in crochet.

So three weeks ago, something struck me. It's been such a whirlwind of passion
and endeavor bordering on obsession. ACRYLIC PAINT POURING!  I began on July 12, when my first batch of canvases, silicone, Jacquard Lumiere Metallic Acrylic Paint 2.25 Ounces-Pearlescent Blue and Liquitex BASICS Acrylic Paint 4-oz tube, Brilliant Yellow Green, arrived.

I had tubes of various paints from long-ago projects -- other Liquitex, in the tube and in the form of liquid metallic ink, Pebeo, Windsor Newton, Blick Acrylic, and many little plastic bottles of puff paint. I know they were ancient by their prices. And so many golds, coppers, bronzes!

In June, I was busy boat building and experimenting with plaster, papier maché and admixtures to provide a quick hard finish over cardboard. So that left me with gesso, after learning a homemade gesso recipe and some glue.

I adopted Rick Cheadle's easy and effective formula 50% paint and 50% Elmer's plus water as a pouring medium for my paints. And my first canvases made me very happy! I used Elmer's Glue-All that I got from the supermarket, and bought it again and again  but did the math and found the gallon to be a way better value.

I'd ordered the US Art Supply Professional Quality Stretched Canvas 12-ounce Primed Variety Pack Square Assortment (20x20, 16x16, 12x12, 8x8, 4x4) and poured a 4X4, then a 8X8.


US Art Supply Professional Quality Stretched Canvas 12-ounce Primed Variety Pack Square Assortment (20x20, 16x16, 12x12, 8x8, 4x4)

I loved the small size of 4X4 and so my next order included a pack of the 4X4s.

More later. 
Enjoy the pour!

My first pours: Facing Inward 8 x8, Blue Swim, 4X4.



Comments

Popular Posts